Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Interview: Amoreena Winkler

Amoreena Winkler was born in Rome in 1978. Children of God (which comes out on Fandango January 27, € 17.50) is the true story of his childhood spent in the sect's title to the book, and which has moved away at age 17. The author lives in France, works in a clothing store, is engaged and is writing the sequel to the story.

PS: who will buy the book as a gift as an "extra", the book transience of Sigmund Freud. The first thing you come to read, is the slap that the stepfather to trim Amoreena, 4 years, for saying "I really like it." And you forgot that I was wrong, because body, mind, and then the desire, do not belong to her, belong to the family.


Then, violence, orgies, abuse ("Sex is divine" argued David Berg, the founder of the sect, and his credits include even the children), punishment, a mother who prostitutes herself under the thumb, continuous changes of city and country to escape the authorities . Amoreena Winkler said without discounts, like a horror, his childhood in the cult Children of God, under the memoir out on Fandango.

A religious movement born in California in 1968, he used the sexual liberation of the group (which earned them the sympathy of the early hippie culture) to spread his apocalyptic vision and anti-system. Behind, as it turned out and told us the Winkler, there was something else. "I have four years and I love sex." What does it mean really? It is obvious that a child has a body and feelings.

Less obvious - but that's what happened in the group - is projected to see him on an adult sexuality. Sex was sanctified by the cult, was at hand. One thing reassuring in a context that did not give security. I just learned over time that even if sex is important, there are other ways to communicate with people.

What he dreamed as a child? To die soon. Or that the angels should come to me again. What dreams now? A world without plastic. What was the worst thing? Probably be a witness to the violence on my brothers and sisters. See my mother bruised as the stigmata. Feeling helpless. What was the Family? As I understand from a young age, a secret group was not highly valued by society.

There were people, children, songs, rituals. Our mission was to "save souls." Outside, one should not speak of the sect, its practices "spiritual". And in our life was guarded, very rigorous. Wanted to control the thoughts. As you turn the page? Building a reality stronger than before. Then letting time flow.

Write me free. It helped me to digest the past. When you have things changed? When I removed from their beliefs and away from my mother. Even as a child did not agree with the paradoxes, the injustices, what we were doing 'for love. " The doubt saved me. But I did not know what to do. At 16 I discovered that this was illegal.

At 17 I turned to social services. Ever feels his brothers? I have not gone until they are large enough, free to evolve. We feel it is difficult. Some did not understand my need to write. My biological father (not the one she grew up with, but also a member of the Family, ed) was shot in the head ten years ago.

I thank him. It is the only act of lucidity of his life. My mother is immersed in his self-justifying beliefs. Do not think about the evil that we did and did it to herself. There is no possibility of relationship. What it means to be? I've never been able to project into the future, I have developed my skills.

And find my place in the world is still difficult. But I am not afraid.



No comments:

Post a Comment