Monday, February 7, 2011

Simon Tofield

Those who still associate the term "viral video" with the idea of a documentary about a conference of immunologists should take note that one day this will be the primary means to gather fame and fortune. Because if the movie has killed the theater, and TV killed radio and cinema, and the recommendations and programs and plastic garbage sold as fine marble have killed everything, sooner or later will sweep the Internet and the only judges would revert to the cleverness and originality.

Sure, you can also ask your friends to click a bit 'your clips on YouTube to increase the numbers and make a good impression, but from there you get to twenty million contacts (at the time of writing) movies of Simon's Catsfoggiano in media broadcast on the channel yourself, there passes.

And to think that the funny stories without words of the cat sympathetic and annoying - all shared on the Facebook profiles of "Gattari" - were born to play up to become a worldwide phenomenon, which has virtually imposed on its English author, Simon Tofield, of already published two books: Simon's Cat and Simon's cat on the road, also published in Italy by the publisher Tea.

Due to the success of his famous cat, now Tofield works in London as an animator and director in the animation studio Tandem Films, and that's where we met. Live in London with three cats. Are troublesome and greedy as the star of your cartoons? Actually, I live just outside London, in a small town called Leighton Buzzard and, at the time, the share has risen to four cats: Hugh, Maisie, Jess and Teddy.

I would not say that they are troublesome, because it is difficult to blame them for what they do according to their nature. Sometimes they are very naughty and cause anxiety, but never will hate them for that. With regard to the voracity, of course the cats love to eat. I've learned to separate their bowls at mealtimes to avoid all those fights.

And you're like the Simon of the cartoon? Yes, the way I interact with my cats. This is a cartoon about my relationship with cats. As for the look ... perhaps, in reality, I look younger! Where did the idea of doing a cartoon with a cat as the protagonist? I love cats and I was a child I lived with them many years of my life.

The idea I picked a day when I was awakened by Hugh, was looking for a subject for a short movie and I had the shock: why not just animate Hugh trying to wake me up? And so was born the first clip of Simon's Cat called Cat Man Do. How long does it take to build one? The process requires two steps.

Before realization animations, and this typically takes six or seven weeks to do all the drawings. Then make the audio track with my friend Russell, who is credited as the cartoon Shrooty. It takes about another week, for a total of seven or eight weeks. What do you love cats, in particular? Cats have a lot of good qualities.

Creatures are affectionate and have a calming effect when you are close. They are clean, independent, self-sufficient. As an animator, I find also beautiful, graceful movements. I do not mean that they are better than dogs, even dogs are great companions, but cats are definitely my favorites.

Between cat and human, who is the master? The relationship between cats and humans is very long. If I put this question to the ancient Egyptians, probably you would have answered "the cat". Even today, there is the saying that dogs have masters and cats servants, but we do not serve if we did not like much.

The bear because it is a pleasant form of servitude. Sometimes cats have attitudes very funny: you believe that they, too, observing, think the same of us? I guess you wonder why we do not appreciate the birds and mice that carry us. I bet you think "all that hard to catch him, and that's how I get paid.

But Simon has no idea how it took me to get that mouse? ". Some say that you live together for centuries because they like us, but we do not like them. Do you agree? In domestic cats like us for sure. Having grown up together as a species, we developed a sort of spiritual connection. Yes, I think to really like it.

And why should not this be so? We give them food, and this allows him to gun at all day! What a feeling to see your cartoon clicked millions and millions of times on YouTube? I am thrilled that people like my cartoons and I thank everyone for the support they give me. All this gives me the enthusiasm to do more and better, with my cartoons and my books.

Youtube turns up a film entitled "Sister Simon's dog, a ravenous dog. Will you do with others? We also deal with other animals? Chances are that the dog returns in other movies. The hedgehog, which appeared only in the books has now also made its entry in the cartoon called Simon's Cat 'Cat Chat' and possogarantire that, soon, other animals take part in the animated shorts.

It's just a matter of time ...

No comments:

Post a Comment